a special world where one cannot see..

...pondering, and wondering...

Thursday, December 22, 2005

It was early in December, but late in the afternoon…
It lasted forever, but ended so soon…

Toastmaster of the Evening, Club President, fellow toastmasters and guests..

Last semester I was not around at school since I was doing my industrial attachment. It was from 11th July and finished just last Friday.

How many of you who are here today have been on IA?

How did you feel when you realized today is your last day of IA?? Relieved, excited, happy, or...sad??
Believe it or not, I’ve felt really sad the moment I stepped out of my IA company. Not only because I wouldn’t be able to see my cute and adorable manager anymore, but also because completing my IA means losing something important in my life. It was the bonding among the staffs and me that I was afraid to lose. It was the memorable times that I treasured the most.

I still clearly remembered… for the first few days, it was such a boring and demoralizing period. I barely had the idea of what my project was about. Everything seemed out of handle. Until a point of time, a staff, a lady who sat in front of my desk, came over. And to my surprise, she smiled and began to ask me, “Intan, how is your project? Do you need any help?”. I was stunned, never expected the staffs would ever offer help to an IA student. But from then on, my relationships with the staffs have been developed.

Starting from just exchanging morning greetings, we often went for lunch together. That was how I got to know each and everyone of them, and realized how colorful their characters are. There is one lady named HoonHoon who is very good at handicrafting and she didn’t hesitate to impart her skills to me. Another wonderful staff is a gentleman who liked to “bully and tease” me. But I know for sure, he did that because he felt close to me and regarded me as a friend. My supervisor is a nice and cheerful lady. How understanding she was, to let me go back earlier to attend Toastmasters meetings. And not to forget my cute and adorable manager who has a very encouraging smile. I was so delighted to be around and interact with them.

Time flies so fast, like a summer-bird swiftly flown away. And finally, the long-awaited day for most of IA students has come. The last day of IA period. The day before, my supervisor told me that we would have lunch together with the manager and staffs. So that last day, I really enjoyed my time. Since morning, I did no work and just had a nice chitchat with HoonHoon most of the time. Until around 12 in the afternoon, 8 people included me went to Swensens. And there, we had great lunchtime. Having chitchat about funny things, laughing here and there, and taking pictures together. My cute and adorable manager even gave me an adorable balloon sculpture! What a wonderful time! If only the moment could last forever…

I could hardly go to sleep that night. Pondering what I’ve gotten from my IA period, and more importantly what I’ve contributed to my IA company. The many little kindnesses and acts of friendship, the occasions of understanding given and received… Hey! I’ve learned something about relationship! That’s the most meaningful experience! But then, the grief of parting attacked me once again…

The next morning I woke up from my bed, I’ve finally decided there was no need of feeling sad. I just need to live my life for the days ahead. And do my best so there won’t be any regret…

Toastmaster of the Evening!