a special world where one cannot see..

...pondering, and wondering...

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Project #1 : Rhyme of My Life

Toastmaster of the day, club president, fellow toastmasters…

Poetry, is what I love, both reading and writing.
And for the next 4 mins, I would like to share with you how poetry has gone through the bittersweet of life with me.

As a child, I was a cute and chubby little girl, so far as I remembered. Pampered by my parents’ love, I never experienced any big problems in my childhood life. That’s why I grew up as a happy and easy-going child.

In my primary school, all the students had to take Indonesian Language subject, in which we were required to write simple short stories and poems. But most of the time, I couldn’t manage to finish any of my short stories. They were all halfway-written. In the other hand, I was more successful in writing poems. But that time, the theme was more about nature and nationality.

Entering secondary school, my personality changed to be more introvert, even to my mum. I had no particular best friend whom I could share my stories with, so I loved to write my feelings and thoughts in my diary, in the form of poems.

At some stage in my life, I did feel I need a friend to share with. And luckily, I found one during my high school period. A friend whom I could hang out with, a friend who shared the same interest with me… Yes, she loved poetry as well. And with plenty of poetry books that she had, that was how we spent our time together. For a friend in need, she is a friend indeed…and I have one poem that I’ve not given to her:

On a silent night when friends are few
i close my eyes and think of you;

a silent night,a silent tear;
a silent wish,that you were here..

on a perfect morning where skies are blue;
i fall asleep and dream about you;
a perfect morning with bunches of morning dew;
a perfect friend just as cute as you..

for a sky which was so blue;
that was were the birds flew;
for a friend who help me through;
i've nothing to say but thank you...

“love can make someone romantic”…
You may think it was a bit late, but my love life began since I studied in NTU. It is not the first time I like someone, but is the first time I really like someone seriously. Yet, I am a woman of the last century who cannot go after a man she loves aggressively. So I keep my feelings inside and remain his secret admirer.

Until one day, I couldn’t hold my feelings any longer. I wrote a poem and sent it to him. One part of the poem represented my feelings for him, it went like this:

I love my stormy rain,
For you can see your blue sky, again

Soon after, I regretted sending it. Blushing with embarrassment, I had no idea how to react if I were to meet him. For few days, I tried avoiding him, and kept hoping that he didn’t take my poem seriously. And fortunately, until now, I suppose he doesn’t know that I adore him.

Fellow toatmasters..

Those are some of experiences with poetry since my childhood world. And up till now, my passion for poems is as high as before, even more.

To summarize stages of my life, I have one poem for us to be shared:

To remember me
U don’t need to go to the sea,
For the secret is always above the tree to see…

Just keep a memory about a child
Who always cheerful and never fail to smile

And once grew up as a little girl
With friends she treasured like a pearl

If u asked me, “do u think u are special?”
I can only say, I am a daughter of my parents, quite filial
And my friends will say I am jovial

Toastmaster of the day!